Body hair waxing is a part of body care and beauty regime for most women and some men. The conventional salon style hot waxing is quite painful and expensive.
Anyway, now you don’t need to worry about spending chunks of money on waxing as this simple DIY sugar wax recipe will help you a lot!
Sugar wax recipe includes lemon juice, however many people prefer not using lemon juice due to several reasons such as:
Skin issues: lemon has high acidic properties, which does not suit people with sensitive skin while some people with normal are even allergic to lemon.
It can irritate the skin: at times, it happens that application of lemon on skin or open cuts on skin causes skin irritation. Direct application of lemon juice can also cause redness of skin in some people.
No lemon sugar wax recipe
Here is how you can make the ‘No lemon sugar wax recipe”:
- White sugar -1 cup
- Salt -1/2 tsp
- Water- 1/5 cup
- Apple cider vinegar- 2 tbsp
- Lavender oil: 5 drops (optional)
- On your stove and put is on a medium flame; Place a non-stick pan over it.
- Add water, sugar and apple cider vinegar in the above-mentioned quantity into the pan.
- Stir the mixture with wooden stick until you get a thick mixture.
- With a spray bottle, squirt some water on your marble/granite kitchen counter until you get a thin layer of water.
- Turn your stove to low flame and keep stirring for some more time.
- Once the mixture is golden brown, turn off the flame and immediately pour the mixture on the thin layer of squirted water on your kitchen platform.
- With the help of a spoon, push the edges of the mixture inwards to form a ball.
- Once the ball is formed, wet your hands and start stretching the ball until it becomes soft.
- Pull out a small portion from the ball for current use and save the rest in refrigerator (maximum 2 months)
- Stretch the wax mix on a small patch of your skin in the opposite position of hair growth.
- Let it sit for 3-5 seconds and pull off in direction of hair growth.
How to make sugar wax at home
- Half cup water
- 2 cups white granulated Sugar
- Half cup lemon juice
- In a pan mix all the three ingredients and place it over the gas on high flame.
- Keep stirring the mixture until you see bubbles rising.
- Reduce the flame to medium heat when you see bubbles rising and continue stirring.
- Stop stirring only when the sugar is melted completely and turned brown in colour.
- Once this happens, pour the mixture in a microwave safe container and allow it to cool down.
- Once the mixture cools down, with the help of a spoon check the consistency and stickiness of sugar wax. Ideally sugar wax must be sticky enough to be able to pull off with fingertips and hard enough to spread evenly on your skin.
- If your sugar wax has the right consistency then it is ready to apply but if it is hard microwave it for some time (until it’s slightly thin then honey) and then apply the mixture to your skin.
How to do sugar wax without waxing strips
- Wash and pat dry the area of wax.
- Heat a bowl of water but do not bring it to boil
- Now place the microwave safe container filled with sugar wax mixture in the bowl containing hot water and leave it for 4-8 minutes.
- Do not leave the mixture for more than 10 minutes and see to it that your mixture is thick and sticky.
- With the help of a spatula or fingertips remove small amount of sugar wax and apply it evenly over the wax area in the direction of hair growth.
- Once the mixtures is about to dry pull it off with your fingertips and repeat the procedure until all the unwanted hair is waxed away.
- Once waxing is complete, wipe the waxed area with a damp towel and then pat dry in case you feel stickiness on your skin.
- Apply spirit or body lotion for a soothing effect (optional).
Benefits of sugar wax
- Zero chemicals: sugar wax is made from all natural ingredients including sugar and citric extract. It does not contain any harmful chemicals like the hot wax mixture available in salons and market.
- Smooth and easy clean up procedure: during the conventional waxing procedure sometimes, the hot wax sticks hard to your skin and it is painfully difficult to take it off. Sugar wax on the other hand is very easy to apply and remove. In addition, it does not leave any stickiness on your skin post removal.
- No chance of being burnt: During the traditional waxing treatment, chances are your aesthetician may burn you with hot wax once or more during the whole process. However, this is not possible in case of sugar wax as it is applied after warming at body temperature. Hence, sugar wax does not leave any burn marks, scars or welts on your skin.
- Less hair growth: After regular episodes of sugar wax, you will notice a remarkable reduction in your hair growth. This is because regular sugar wax treatment atrophies the hair follicle preventing hair growth.
Precautions to take before, after and between sugar wax treatments
- Avoid using body lotion on the day of sugar wax as the lotion makes it difficult for wax mixture to get a firm grip over the hair thus leading to difficulty in hair removal.
- Avoid natural or artificial tanning one day before and after sugar wax, as it will make you skin more sensitive and susceptible to sunburn.
- Do not shave between two episodes of sugar wax as shaving makes the hair minute and this will act counterproductive towards the next sugar waxing process.
- Take a warm salt-water bath after sugar wax treatment. This will not only detoxify your hair follicle but will also prevent ingrown hair and infections.