Hair care is something we do especially when we are going for an outing or occasion. Some ladies do care their hair throughout the year. But some of us do not have to care our hair on a regular basis.
Caring hair means using shampoo and conditioners that are available in the market. But, that is not a good remedy. These days the shampoos available in the market are filled with chemicals.
You might not see your hair damage initially but gradually you can view several problems cropping up in your hair. The best way to avoid such problem is the natural way of hair care.
All you need to do is avail the natural soap. The soap nuts or Kunkudukai is a great remedy which you can practically experience after few days of use.
is commonly used as a natural alternative to shampoo in southern part of India. It is known by different names like Kunkudukaya, Ritha, Reetha, Aritha (in Hindi) or Anthwaal (Kannada).
What is soap nut?
Soap nuts are a kind of fruit that grows on a medium sized deciduous tree. The ripen fruits are sold in the market as aritha.
It has a soapy texture and is used in making soaps, shampoos and detergents for washing hands. These fruits are naturally antifungal, anti-bacterial and are very gentle on the skin.
Uses of kunkudukai / kunkudukaya / soap nuts
Kunkudukai is used as the main ingredient in soaps and shampoos for washing hair. It is considered good for the health of hair.
- The jewellers in India use this plant to brighten the ornaments made of precious metals like gold, silver, etc.
- This herb is also used in the treatment of migraine, epilepsy and choruses.
- Kunkudukaya has the insecticidal properties which help in removing lice from the scalp.
- The herb is also used in washing cardamoms and in improving their flavour and colour.
- It is also one of the herbs that are used for treatment of contaminated soil.
Benefits of soap nuts for hair
- There are several shampoos that are enriched with traditional herbal ingredient Kunkudukai. It cleans the hair gently and makes the hair soft and healthy.
- Soap nuts or aritha is a natural shampoo
- It greatly reduces the falling of hair.
- It provides proper nourishment and conditioning to the hair and scalp.
- They leave the hair shinier and softer after the wash.
- There is minimum tangling of hair after a wash with aritha. The hair becomes easily manageable.
- Soap nuts are completely natural and non-toxic.
- Soap nuts condition the hair and promote hair growth
- It helps in treating scalp infections and dandruff.
How to make reetha/ kunkudukai shampoo?
Soap nuts are available in the market and online as well. Soak 100 grams of soap nuts in an iron vessel overnight. This will give extra black shine to the hair.
The mixture can also be boiled for some time to make it concentrated. Strain the mixture and use it as a shampoo. It can be stored in an airtight container and used anytime.
Soapnut powder can also be used by soaking the powder for 10-15 minutes. This paste can be applied on the hair and left for about an hour before washing
Other shampoos and soap nuts
It is easier to wash hair with shampoo On the other hand washing hair with aritha will require some extra time. It also requires time to prepare the wash with herbals. Soap nuts are irritating to the eyes whereas shampoos are mild.
Shampoos contain chemicals which damage the hair.Aritha is soothing to the hair and has all treatment for everything. It rejuvenates the blood cells and promoted growth of hair. It also helps in overcoming the dandruff problem.
Recipe of homemade rich shampoo by using the best of natural ingredients
- Kunkudukai/Reetha is the best agent for cleansing the hair
- Shikakai nourishes the hair from the tips to the roots.
- Sesame seeds rejuvenate the blood cells and promote hair growth.
- Amla makes the hair strong
- Fenugreek seeds help in cooling the scalp.
- Aloe vera pulp helps in softening the hair
- Lemon helps in clearing the dandruff from the scalp
Method – Collect all the ingredients in equal quantities. Remove the seeds of kunkudukai and shikakai. Leave all the ingredients in the sun to dry. Make a powder in the grinder. Keep it in a tight container. Soak the powder about four hours before shampoo. , add lemon juice and use it like a shampoo.
Conclusion – It has become very difficult in the modern age to use these hair wash. There is no time or energy to do the preparation. Hats-off to our oldies, which took interest and devoted time for the preparation and took care of long hair. A modern mom will prefer her daughter’s haircut short. But I recommend that those who are concerned must try these treatments and see the difference.
Kunkudukai/ kunkudukaya/ soap nuts for hair care
These are the soap nuts which is environmentally friendly in nature. This can be used in place of shampoo. There are no chemicals or cosmetics that can spoil your hair. You can now get variety of names for the soap nuts. These include Aritha, Reetha, Kunkudukai, Kunkudukaya etc.
Benefits of kunkudukai/ kunkudukaya/ soap nuts
The soap nuts available in the lap of nature can help in maintaining your beautiful hair. If you have rough and dry hair, it is better to use these natural soap nuts instead of chemical rich shampoos and conditioners available in the market.
It will improve the texture of your hair making it soft and manageable. It is also very gentle to your skin and won’t leave irritants all over.
Best for hair
Individuals using Kunkudukai, Reetha, Kunkudukaya etc. for their hair are doing a great job. It will give you nourishment without taking away the natural oil layer of your skin. If you have not tried it, take a step ahead to try it right away.
As a result you can get softer and shinier hair as the expensive variety of hair shampoo and conditioner does. Also it is less costly in nature as compared to the soaps and cosmetic shampoos available in the market.