Wrinkles on the eyelids can actually make one appear older than his/her original age. It gives a tired and worn out look to the face which is obviously not pleasing for anyone.
Aging, even after being an inevitable natural process, is not something that we accept happily and hence if you are suffering from wrinkles above eyes there is every reason to put your best effort to get rid of them.
Interestingly, wrinkles on the eyelids are not anymore only a symptom that appears with age. Lifestyle coupled with genetics and other factors can play a major role in formation of wrinkles on the eyelids even at an earlier age.
Invasive cosmetic procedures as well as non-invasive laser techniques are often considered as the most effective ways to get rid of the wrinkles above the eyes. However, these processes are expensive and along with their pros they also come with their own baggage of cons.
So, for many, particularly the younger group of people suffering from this problem, the cosmetic procedures might not be the most desirable solution. This article will discuss on how the wrinkles on the eyelids can be removed without opting for a cosmetic procedure.
In fact, through proper home treatments and lifestyle changes one cannot only prevent the formation of eyelid wrinkles at the first place but can also reverse them effectively; but before you proceed to the remedies, let us take a look at the reasons of formation of wrinkles above the eyes.
Oils that can be used
The oils can help to keep the skin moist, plump and above all free from wrinkles. You can use Hemp oil, Olive oil, castor oil, rose oil and coconut oil.
Use of essential oils
Adding essential oils to your daily moisturizer can be of great help. Essential oils are brimming with antioxidants.
This help to keep the skin free from radicals and hence puts a stop to the signs of aging. Make sure you never use essential oils alone. Always mix it up with carrier oil. The essential oils that are the most beneficial are.
What to do if you have oily skin?
The concept that people who oily skin don’t need moisturizing is extremely wrong. You need it as much as a person with dry skin does. You will be able to remove the wrinkles above your eyelids and bring a natural shine and glow to your face.
Use these naturally found oils that are light in texture and will hydrate your skin from deep inside.
- Jojoba oil.
- Argan oil.
- Hemp seed oil.
- Grapeseed oil.
The application of the right facepack
This mask will constitute of ingredients that you can easily find in your house. You can use them to treat the problems of wrinkles.
Your skin can use the nutrients and vitamins present in avocados, cucumbers and eggs. Adding a teaspoon of lemon juice to it will help in the process of skin lightening and removal of blemishes too.
- Combine honey(one tablespoon) with flavorless yogurt(half a cup) and ground flax(one tablespoon) to form a paste. Apply it all over your face and leave it for fifteen minutes before washing your face.
- The second method is to apply a combination of oats that is uncooked(half a cup) with lemon juice(four tablespoons). Time span to keep it on is fifteen minutes.
- You can also apply a paste of apricot and banana(half) that is mixed well with one tablespoon of water(lukewarm).
- Add two tablespoons of wheat grass juice with half mashed avocado and half a cup of yogurt. Mix it well. And apply it all over your face and above your eyelids. Wash it off with lukewarm water after thirty minutes.
- Whisk together the white part of one egg with a teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice and half a teaspoon of honey. Apply it on your cleansed face and keep it for fifteen minutes.
The reasons of formation of eyelid wrinkles
Aging is surely one of the most common reasons of formation of wrinkles on the eyelids. However, this skin condition can even arise at a much earlier age due to several other factors. As we age, the ability of the oil glands under the skin to produce oils reduces, which causes dryness in the skin of this area.
With age the ability of the skin to produce elastin and collagen also reduces. Elastin and collagen are the main elements responsible for the skin elasticity and hence the reduced amount of elastin and collagen in the skin coupled with dryness causes the skin above the eyes to wrinkle.
Reduction in the subcutaneous fat under the skin with age also works as a reason for the sagging and wrinkling of the skin. When it comes to the reasons of formation of eyelid wrinkles, genetics also play a vital role.
However, if the condition is not present in your genes, it does not guarantee that you can never develop it. So, taking the right care at the right time is necessary even if you are so called genetically safeguarded.
The other factors that can work as reasons for formation of eyelid wrinkles include, high exposure to the harmful sun rays, heavy smoking, regular consumption of alcohol, stressful lifestyle, rapid weight loss as well as repeated facial expressions that stretches the skin of this area extensively.
Getting rid of eyelid wrinkles
Use proper sunscreen
The first step to get rid of the eyelid wrinkles is to stop the skin damage. Saving your skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun is most important and it is the basic thing you need to ensure to get rid of these unwanted wrinkles.
For people, who have not yet developed the wrinkles, protecting the delicate skin of the eyelids from the sun rays is surely the most important preventive measure to take. So, whenever you are going out during the day, lather on a sunscreen that gives protection for both UVA and UVB rays.
Stop your eyes from squinting
Another common habit that can trigger the formation of wrinkles on the eyelids is squinting of the eyes. So, before going out to the sun make it a point to wear a sunglass; it will also give physical protection to the skin of this area from the sun rays.
Reading in minimum light or straining the eyes by staring at a screen for long can also trigger squinting of the eyes which can cause formation of eyelid wrinkles. So, ban these habits and you are sure to see improvements.
Get the right diet
What you eat is what you show. So, if you are trying to get rid of those wrinkles above eyes, it is the time you should start eating right. Include vegetables in your diet that are rich in Vitamin A and E. Carrots, Red cabbage, eggs are rich sources of Vitamin A.
So, include them in your daily diet. Including foods rich in Omega-3-fatty acids in your regular diet can also be helpful for a naturally healthy and problem free skin.
Drink plenty of water
As already mentioned dryness of the skin can work as a primary cause for formation of wrinkles above the eyes.
So, drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily to ensure that your body and your skin are not dehydrated. This small change in your habit can be actually very helpful to remove or prevent the eyelid wrinkles.
Stay away from smoking and alcohol
Heavy smoking and consumption of high amount of alcohol on a regular basis can work as the cause of eyelid wrinkle formation.
These habits actually affect the skin and the skin of the eye area being the most delicate it shows the effects more prominently. So, stay away from smoking and alcohol.
Natural remedies to remove wrinkles above eyes
Along with the above, you should follow some of the next measures to remove these wrinkles completely.
However, always keep in mind that the home remedies take time to show action and hence you need to be patient and follow the treatment religiously for an extended span of time to see the results. Read on,
- Coconut oil
- Vitamin E
- Carrot seed essential oil
- Aloe vera
- Egg white with onion juice
- Turmeric and honey
- Potato juice
- Evening primrose carrier oil
- Shea butter with almond oil
- Pineapple juice
Coconut oil is known for its moisturizing and nourishing properties. Coconut oil is absorbed easily into the skin and can be highly helpful in removing the eyelid wrinkles.
- Coconut oil
- Take a few drops of coconut oil on your palm and apply it onto your eyelids with your fingertips.
- Massage the eyelids with the oil in circular motion for 2-3 minutes and then leave on.
- While massaging the oil you need to use firm but not heavy pressure with your fingertips.
- This treatment can be most effective when you take it before going to bed at night and wash off the oil with plenty of water in the morning.
Well, we all known how effective Vitamin E can be to nourish the skin and banish dryness. Massaging Vitamin E directly onto your eyelids can be an effective solution to remove the eyelid wrinkles.
- 1 Vitamin E capsule
- Puncture 1 Vitamin E capsule, apply the content onto your eyelids and massage it on for 3-5 minutes with your fingertips.
- Leave on for at least 30 more minutes before washing off with plain water.
Carrot seed oil is a rich natural source of Vitamin A and it can be very helpful for removing eyelid wrinkles when combined with evening primrose carrier oil.
- 4-5 drops carrot seed oil
- 15-20 drops evening primrose carrier oil
- Take 15-20 drops of evening primrose carrier oil in a clean container and mix 4-5 drops of carrot seed essential oil with it.
- Massage this oil mixture onto the eyelids firmly for 3-5 minutes and then leave on for at least another 30 minutes before washing off.
- A patch test is necessary before using this treatment.
Aloe Vera can be another effective home remedy for removing wrinkles above eyes.
- Aloe Vera
- Collect the fresh pulp of Aloe Vera from the leaves and massage it lightly onto your eyelids for 4-5 minutes.
- Use the pulp in excess and let it set till it gets a bit drier.
- Wash off with normal water.
- Use this treatment twice a day for best results.
- 1 egg
- Onion juice
- Take 1 spoon of the white of an egg and add few drops of onion juice in it.
- Mix the two ingredients well to make a homogeneous mixture.
- Now apply this pack onto your eyelids in an upward direction.
- Let it set for 5-7 minutes and then remove with a moist cotton ball.
- Make sure that your eyes are comfortably closed and without movement for the whole span of the treatment.
- You can take this treatment once every week.
However, it should not be used as a precaution but only to lighten and remove the eyelid wrinkles that have formed already.
Honey has extensive skin nourishing and hydrating properties and it can work wonders to remove eyelid wrinkles when coupled with turmeric.
- Make a thick paste of honey and turmeric and apply the pack onto your eyelids.
- Let it set for 10 minutes and then wash off with plenty of water.
- You can take this treatment once everyday.
Potato juice can also be effective to remove the wrinkles above eyes.
- Grate a potato and squeeze out the juice.
- Now massage your eyelids lightly with this juice and then let it set for some more time before washing off with water.
Evening primrose carrier oil is believed to be a skin tonic that can help in erasing the skin wrinkles with regular use. You can use this oil for massaging the skin around the eyes including the eyelids to remove wrinkles.
- 4-5 drops evening primrose oil
- Take 4-5 drops of evening primrose oil on your fingers.
- Now massage the area around and above the eyes lightly in circular motion for 3-4 minutes and then leave on for another 15 minutes.
- Wipe off lightly with moist cotton ball.
- Take this treatment twice a day, including once at the night before going to the bed.
Shea butter has ingredients that can mimic the natural collagen of the human skin in the best way and can plump up the skin helping in erasing wrinkles. Almond oil on the other hand is full of Vitamin E and can be very helpful to remove wrinkles above the eyes and eyelids.
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1/2 spoon almond oil
- Take one spoon of raw, liquefied shea butter and mix it with 1/2 spoon of almond oil.
- Now massage the eye area with this mixture, in circular motion placing light but firm pressure, for 4-5 minutes.
- Let it set for another 20 minutes before wiping off with a wet cotton ball.
- Repeat the treatment twice everyday, including once before bed time at night.
This is another natural and active product that can work effectively to remove the wrinkles above the eyes. The enzyme bromelain present in pineapple juice is a natural from of alpha hydroxy acid which can be effective in treating skin wrinkles.
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- Take 1 spoon fresh pineapple juice that has not been treated in anyway.
- Apply this juice directly onto the affected area, but ensure that it does not get into the eyes.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and then wash off with sufficient plain water.
10 FAQs To Remove Wrinkles Above Eyes/Eyelids
Wrinkles above the eyes and eyelids can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, sun damage, and lifestyle habits such as smoking. Aging is also a major contributor, as the skin loses elasticity over time and becomes more prone to wrinkling. Some people may also notice wrinkles around their eyes due to the repetitive movements in the facial muscles associated with expressions such as squinting or frowning.
The best way to prevent wrinkles above eyes/eyelids is to practice good skincare habits and protect your skin from sun damage. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher every day and reapply it every two hours when outdoors. Wear protective clothing such as wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses to protect your skin further.
Yes, there are some natural remedies that can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles above your eyes/eyelids. Some of the popular natural remedies include using coconut oil, almond oil, or olive oil as a natural moisturizer; drinking plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated; using aloe vera gel, which has anti-inflammatory properties; using a banana and honey mask, which can help firm the skin; applying honey to your skin as a natural antibacterial; and using a natural wrinkle cream that contains ingredients like vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, and shea butter.
Topical treatments such as retinoids, peptides, and growth factors have been shown to be effective in reducing wrinkles above the eyes and eyelids. Retinoids, such as tretinoin, are applied directly to the skin and help to stimulate production of collagen, which keeps skin looking more youthful. Peptides are also applied directly to the skin and help to firm and tighten the skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
Yes, certain injectables can help minimize wrinkles above eyes/eyelids. The most common type of injectable for this area is Botox. Botox is a neuromodulator that relaxes the muscles in the area and can reduce wrinkles and lines in the forehead and eyes. Other injectables that can help reduce wrinkles are dermal fillers, which fill in and plump up wrinkles and provide a more youthful appearance.
The frequency of use will depend on the types of products you are using. Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb is to use these products two to three times per week. Make sure to read the product labels for any specific instructions regarding how often to use the product. Additionally, keep in mind that if you have sensitive skin, you may need to use the product less often than those with normal skin.
Yes, laser treatments can be used to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles above the eyes and eyelids. Laser treatments can target the deeper layers of the skin and stimulate collagen production, which can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. The most common type of laser used for this type of treatment is a fractional laser, which can help to improve skin texture, reduce wrinkles, and improve overall skin tone and texture. Results will vary depending on the individual and the type of laser used.
The cost of treating wrinkles above the eyes/eyelids will depend on the type of treatment being used. Injectables like Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin can cost anywhere from $250 to $600 per treatment, while laser treatments can cost up to $1,000 per session. Fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero can cost between $500 and $1,000 per treatment. Costs will also vary based on the severity of the wrinkles and the number of treatments needed.
Yes, there are other lifestyle changes you can make to reduce wrinkles above eyes/eyelids. Try to reduce stress levels, as stress can contribute to wrinkles. Also, limit sun exposure and wear sunglasses whenever you are outdoors. Additionally, make sure to always wear sunscreen with at least SPF 30 when you are going out in the sun. Finally, make sure to get enough sleep, as a lack of sleep can cause wrinkles to form.
Yes, you can use sunscreen to protect the delicate skin around your eyes and eyelids from wrinkles. Look for a sunscreen that is specifically formulated for use around the eyes. Make sure to apply a generous amount and to reapply frequently throughout the day.