After a few weeks from pregnancy, women start looking into the fact that they are not getting back to their old shape, even after delivery. These are times, when they want to indulge into exercises to get their body in order. The good news is, you can start practising as you breastfeed! This alternatively means that you can start shedding weight before completing, six months of post pregnancy time. There are some safety measures that come under consideration, because this happens to be a very delicate time for the mother and child. You need to make sure that you eat all that you are supposed to, and the weight loss is mostly exercise related and not diet.
The first part is to know, what is the exact time, from when you can concentrate on losing weight! The essence of feeding the baby makes your weight loss process a little easier, because the energy fat present in your body goes into milk production. This is one thing that helps your weight loss process! A lot of experts recommend you to breastfeed for over 6 months, and you need to understand, that you can go in for proper weight loss processes after that span of time only.
[ Hindi version ]
Losing weight during post natal pregnancy is slow but it is not that difficult. You would need about 10 months to get back your desired shape. The healthiest way to do so is to gradually choose healthy food alternatively which are low in calorie. For example, whole food should be consumed, since they are slow, filling and useful. Drink lots of water and start easy exercises.
How to lose weight while breastfeeding?
- You have to wait for 2 months from delivery to start the process. You are too weak to start exercising and it is your time to take rest and take care of the infant. Your body will take time to establish adequate milk for the infant and you need good food to be consumed as well!
- After 2 months are over, you should start getting healthier alternatives to eat, but they should be low in calorie. Measure 1500 to 1800 calories that you are to consume in a day. Studies have proven that low calorie diet can risk your health, which is why you have to ask your doctor because you make dietary changes.
- If you have been approved by the doctor, remember that your calorie intake should reduce with time and not all at once! You cannot drop your milk supply, so don’t let your body be starved continuously. Consume low-carb diets and liquid diets, and ask your doctor what all he recommends you to eat.
- You cannot concentrate on losing more than 500 grams a week. Don’t follow any method which tells you that you can lose more than this much, it is not healthy for both the mother and the baby.
- Make sure that you consume a lot of water. Drink a minimum of 8 ounces before breastfeeding. Don’t consume caffeinated products, be it soft drinks or coffee. Breast milk is 50% made of water, which is why you need to keep yourself hydrated!
- After you have started off with all the measures mentioned above, it is time to start off with the exercises! We will now go through some exercises that are suited for post natal pregnancy:
i) Pelvic tilt
If you have had a vaginal delivery, this exercise can be done after one week of pregnancy. C-section pregnancies will make you wait for 2 months at least! This exercise improves abdominal strength and stamina
- Lie down on you back
- Bent knees and put a pillow under the hips and between knees.
- Keep your feet flat and arms by the side.
- Inhale deeply and exhale too.
- Let your abs get drawn back as you tuck your pelvis slightly under and squeeze buttocks.
- Hold this for 5 second and repeat 10 times.
ii) Pelvic bridge
You can start this exercise after 1 and ½ months from pregnancy. This exercise will strengthen transverse, lower back and buttocks.
- Lie down on your back and keep feet hip-width apart.
- Bent knees and inhale
- As you exhale, draw your abs upwards and inwards to the spine.
- Tilt the pelvis up, lift the hips from the floor and in the bridge position.
- Slowly come back to the starting position and repeat 5 times.
iii) Heel slides
This exercise is also known to strengthen the transverse. It also supports your lower back to the core.
- Lie down on your back and keep knees bent.
- Feet hip-width apart and let the abs draw in.
- Flex left foot by pressing your heal into the ground.
- Keep your pelvis still and then inhale.
- As your exhale use your deep abdominal muscles for pushing the left feel away from the body.
- Keep knee slightly bent.
- Come back to the initial position.
- Alternate sides and do 5 slides on each.
iv) Towel pulse
This is another exercise which will strengthen your transverse!
- Lie down on your back and bend knees.
- Place one towel across the upper shins and then graps each end.
- Pull ends of towel and the squeeze thighs together.
- Inhale deep and while exhaling, draw abs in and also lift shoulders off floor.
- Hold, contract and release.
- Repeat for 10-12 times.
v) Single-leg stretch with towel
This exercise cannot be followed before 3 and ½ months post pregnancy. This will strengthen your transverse, make you feel stronger and let your have a better torso!
- Lie down on your back.
- Keep knees above hips and shin parellel to floor.
- Place small towel on your thighs and then hold the ends.
- Push agaisnt your thighs so that you gain resistance.
- Lift head and shoulders, and then extend left leg out while exhaling.
- Switch legs and repeat!
[ Hindi version ]