Irregular periods implies either the duration of periods varies every time or the time between two periods fluctuates a lot or may be the loss of blood during period is unusual.
Reasons/Causes of irregular menses
The possible causes are-
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and eating habits
- Stress and fatigue
- Hormonal imbalance,
- Uterine fibroids
- Overactive or underactive thyroids
- Over exercise
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
Home remedies for irregular periods
Follow these home remedies to regularise your periods naturally:
- Fennel seeds
- Apple cider vinegar
- Fenugreek seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Aloe vera and honey
- Carrot juice
- Sesame seeds and jaggery powder
- Raw papaya juice
- Coriander seeds
- Radish seeds and buttermilk
- Mint and honey
- Cinnamon tea
- Raspberry leaf tea
- Banyan tree roots and milk
The emmenagogue compound present in fennel seeds boosts menstruation, regulates menstrual cycle and has the ability to relieve cramps due to its antispasmodic properties.
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 glass water
- Mix 2 tsp fennel seeds in one glass water and leave it overnight.
- Strain the water in the morning and drink it. Do if every day for 2-3 months.
Parsley has natural properties, which soften the cervix and correct the hormonal imbalances that lead to irregular periods. Hence, consumption of parsley is very beneficial for irregular periods.
- Handful of parsley
- 1 cup water
- Take a handful of fresh parsley and put it in a blender.
- Now add 1-cup water to it and blend well.
- Drink this fresh parsley juice every day until your cycle regularises.
One of the reasons for irregular periods could be improper level of blood sugar and insulin. Apple cider vinegar helps to regularize these levels thus leading to healthy menstruation cycle.
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 glass water
- Mix 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar in one glass water and drink it daily prior to your meals.
- Follow this process for 2-3 months.
Experts suggest that consuming fenugreek seeds can regularise periods and also improve the menstrual flow.
- Handful of Fenugreek seeds
- 1 glass water
- Boil water infused with fenugreek seeds for 5-6 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Once the mixture cools down strain the water and drink it every morning until you get the desired results.
Pumpkin seeds contain a lot of minerals, protein and fatty acids that promote the production and balance of hormones. The carotene present in pumpkin acts as a great period inducer.
- Handful of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp jaggery powder
- Make a fine powder of roasted pumpkin seeds and jaggery powder.
- Consume 2 tbsp of this powder every morning on an empty stomach.
- Follow it until you get regular periods.
Due to several medicinal properties of Aloe Vera, it is quite effective for treating irregular periods and regularising hormones.
- 1 Aloe Vera leaf
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Remove Aloe Vera gel from the leaf and mix honey into it.
- Eat it on an empty stomach every morning except on your period days.
Carrots are rich source of iron but they also help in regularising proper function of your hormonal system.
- 2-3 medium carrots
- Add carrots to the juicer and make its juice.
- Drink it every day morning for 3 months.
- Avoid having it during your periods.
Sesame seeds contain lignans, which help in balancing hormones and regularising periods. Jaggery generates a lot of heat in your body giving you healthy period flow. Jaggery is even beneficial in breaking PCOD cyst naturally.
- Handful roasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon jaggery powder
- Blend both the ingredients together until you get a fine powder.
- Intake 1 teaspoon of this powder everyday on an empty stomach 2 weeks before your periods for few months.
Raw papaya contains natural element, which contract muscle fibres in the uterus. It acts as a potent emmenagogue, which treats irregular periods particularly caused due to stress and menopause.
- 1 raw papaya
- 1 teaspoon Honey(optional)
- Extract papaya pulp and put it into a juicer.
- Add honey or drink is as it is on daily basis.
- Do not consume it during your periods.
Coriander seeds contain natural enzymes which help to regularise menstrual cycle. It is also beneficial in increasing menstrual flow.
- 2-3 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Add coriander seeds into water and keep it to boil.
- Switch off the gas once half the water is evaporated.
- Strain the mixture and drink it 3 times a day.
- Practice this remedy onset of your periods.
Turmeric is a warm herb that contains emmenagogue properties due to which it is very effective in healing irregular periods naturally.
- 1/4th teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 glass milk
- Add turmeric to warm glass of milk and mix well.
- Drink it every day before going to bed.
- Consume it until you get effective results.
Figs provide essential nutrients to your ovaries in order to keep them healthy. Figs also aid in getting regular menstruation.
- 5 figs
- 1 cup water
- Boil figs in the water for 2-5 minutes.
- Put off the gas and strain the solution.
- Consume it every morning.
This mixture of radish seeds and buttermilk help rectify hormonal imbalances and help to treat irregular periods.
- Handful radish seeds(powdered form)
- 1 glass buttermilk
- In a glass of buttermilk, add 2 large spoons of radish seeds powder.
- Mix well and drink it at least one time a day for 3-4 months.
This combination of milk and honey is proven ayurvedic cure for irregular periods. It is very effective for easing period cramps.
- Handful of dried mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Grind mint leaves until you get a fine powder.
- Mix 1 teaspoon honey into it and consume it 3 times a day.
- Continue this remedy for several weeks.
Saffron helps to treat irregular periods by balancing your body’s hormones. With regular use, it also gives you a healthy menstrual flow.
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- ½ cup water
- Mix saffron and water and boil it until the quantity of the solution reduces to 1 tablespoon.
- Divide the residue into three parts and consume it with water 3 times a day for 4-6 days.
Cinnamon is a warm herb, which helps in treating irregular periods, and easing menstrual cramps.It regulates insulin level due to which it is very beneficial in improving menstrual cycle of women with PCOS.
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- 1 glass milk.
- Mix ½-teaspoon cinnamon powder in one warm glass of milk and stir well.
- Consume it daily for couple of weeks.
Raspberry leaf is highly beneficial for maintaining menstrual cycle and overall feminine health. It minimizes hormonal imbalance, relieves you from menstrual cramps and tightens pelvic muscles.
- Handful of red raspberry leaves
- 1-2 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon honey (optional)
- Boil raspberry leaves in water for 8-10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture once it is slightly cool.
- Drink it once daily for couple of weeks.
Ayurveda states that banyan tree roots are very beneficial in treating infertility and irregular periods in women.
- Handful banyan tree roots
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoon milk
- Thoroughly wash banyan trees roots and boil it in 1-cup water for 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture cools down, strain it and add 3-tablespoon milk to it.
- Drink this mixture every day before bedtime for 3-4 months.
Studies have shown that Yoga is beneficial for treating irregular periods. Regular yoga helps in minimizing hormonal imbalances and strengthens muscles in pelvic area. Yoga is also effective in solving emotional problems such as stress, anxiety and depression, which are some of the leading causes of irregular periods.
It also works wonders for women with primary dysmenorrhoea as certain yoga postures help calming extreme pain before and during periods gradually.
Poses for regular periods
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- Vajrasana (Diamond Pose)
- Baddha Konasana( to Cure PCOS)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Savasana (For dysmenorrhoea)
Maintaining healthy weight and lifestyle
Being overweight is also one of the leading causes of irregular periods today. Due to the fast pace of life, some women find it very difficult to maintain a health work-life balance.
Many women do not prioritise exercise over work and hence, fall prey to various illness and irregular menstrual cycles. Research has shown that women who exercise have healthier periods compared to those who do not.
To maintain good feminine health it is necessary to follow a healthy lifestyle. Maintaining hygienic intimate habits, having good sleep, avoiding junk food and alcohol, avoiding smoking etc., are some of the things you should follow.
Failure to do this may worsen your menstrual health and lead to future complications in your fertility.