Itchy scalp is a common condition which happens to every one of us. It could be a skin condition or it could also be due to some temporary reasons like lice. The discomforts which are caused due to an itchy scalp leads to many other problems as well. When you feel like scratching your head, it is a sign of poor hygiene. If there are flakes falling off, chances are that you have dandruff. There could be numerous reasons for having an itchy scalp and they could be controlled as soon as they are detected.
Where ever you go… You don’t know whether the network will follow or not, but it is ideally applicable to the pollution and dust. Various kinds of pollution’s are waving in the air and affecting our health and scalp too. The major contributor for the itchy scalp is dandruff and flaky skin or formation of white particles in the scalp. We can treat it in various ways. Let us see some of them.
Remedies to treat itchy scalp
[ Hindi version ]
The people who face the itchy scalp problem are most frequently those who are having the dry scalp. To treat such cases, make use of essential oil mixture. Pick the natural oils such as coconut oil, almond oil, lavender oil, avocado oil and tea tree oil. Use any of the oil above, depending on your wish.
Honey hair mask
Honey is the best provider of moisturizer, with its antiseptic and antibiotic properties it stands best to remove the infections.Take a ripe banana and smash it. To this banana paste, add two tablespoons of honey and two tablespoons of onion juice. Mix them well and apply over the scalp. Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse off with your normal shampoo. This pack helps to remove the flaky skin and dandruff.
Hot oil treatment
Hot oil can keep the moisture levels in the dry scalp and it also minimizes the scalp dryness.Take some amount of olive oil in a bowl and warm it. Mix few drops of honey and massage with the fingertips for five to ten minutes. Leave it for an hour and wash with your shampoo.
Lemon is known to be having astringent properties, which helps to combat with the itchy scalp. Squeeze a lemon and add it to your oil, apply the mixture and let it sit for an hour or two and then rinse off.
Apple cider vinegar
The anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar help to combat with the inflammations and to kill viruses that are present on your scalp.Take three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix it with two tablespoons of water. Mix it and apply over the scalp with the help of cotton ball. Spread on entire scalp and leave for 30 to 45 minutes. Rinse off with the plain water and pat.
Tea tree oil
Use the tea tree oil, which is the best source of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It helps your scalp in removing the itchiness and flakes. Tea tree oil is also recommended to use often to the scalp to get rid of the smell that might appear on the scalp.
One readily available ingredient for this remedy could be baking soda. When you use baking soda, it exfoliates your scalp and controls dandruff which is caused by the overactive fungi.
- Take a small bowl and add baking soda. Now add adequate water to make a smooth paste and then apply it on your scalp. For improved results, you can massage your hair with some olive oil and then apply the baking soda and water mix.
- Let the mix sit and soak for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it well with water and repeat after 2 days.
Coconut oil produces a barrier which protects the scalp from the external dirt and keeps it moisturized internally. Hence, it is one of the productive ways to cure an itchy scalp.
- Wash your hair well and then apply the coconut oil. Your scalp is supposed to be clean while application.
- Let the oil absorb to the roots for 30 minutes.
- Now wash it with a shampoo which is preferably perfume-free.
- Repeat thrice a week.
- Melt coconut oil so that it is absolutely in liquid form.
- Add the oil to your regular shampoo.
- Blend well and use it to wash your hair.
Aloe vera is a magical ingredient which cures a lot of skin and hair benefits at home. It has moisturizing properties which can relieve you from a dry and itchy scalp. If you do not get fresh aloe vera leaves, you can buy its gel from stores.
- Spread fresh aloe vera gel on the scalp
- Massage with your fingertips
- Let it sit for 15 minutes
- Wash it with mild shampoo
You might not have known the fact that even bananas can help you treat your itchy scalp! Yes, this tasty and healthy fruit helps to condition your hair with its nourishing and moisturizing properties. It helps you reduce the flakes, inflammation and dandruff as well.
- Take two bananas and mash well
- Add one ripe avocado for improved results
- Apply the mix on your scalp and hair
- Let it absorb the goodness for over an hour
- Rinse and wash your hair thoroughly
Sesame seed oil
Sesame oil nourishes, heals and lubricates our skin and it is equally effective for relieving us from dry and itchy scalp.
- Take some sesame oil and slightly warm it.
- Massage the scalp with the oil
- Use your fingertips to run through in circulation motions for 10 minutes.
- After that wrap your head with a warm towel and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- When the oil penetrates through the roots all through the night, your hair becomes more moisturized.
- Now shampoo your hair the next morning.
- Keep on doing this treatment as long as you feel is necessary.
This has been proven to be a natural astringent and can relieve us from an itchy scalp. This works best when you have an itchy scalp due to coloring or excess blow drying.
- Take 1 part of witch hazel and add 2 parts of water.
- Pour the mix and massage scalp well.
- Let the ingredients absorb.
- Wash your scalp thoroughly
Jojoba oil is a nice treatment for treating your itchy scalp. The reason is that the molecular structure of this oil is similar to our natural oil. Thus, with the application of jojoba oil you can rejuvenate and hydrates your hair.
- Take a little amount of jojoba oil and apply on your scalp just before going to sleep.
- Let the oil get absorbed all through the night.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy once a week.
Get hold on some fresh chamomile flowers and then add them to 2 cups of boiling water. Simmer and wait till the water changes color. Switch off the stove and let the liquid cool down. Filter the water and then add it to a spray bottle. Put the bottle in the fridge. Next time when your scalp feels itchy, spray the content on your hair and get instant relief. If you don’t get the real flowers, you can opt for chamomile tea. Chamomile is known to treat scalp from inflammation and soothe itchiness.
Honey, onion juice and banana hair mask
This is another homemade remedy which can cure your itchy scalp. This is inclusive of antibiotic properties for soothing your scalp. Mash one ripe banana and add 2 tablespoons honey and onion juice to it. Make smooth paste and then apply to the scalp. Let it sit for 20 minutes, after which you can wash you hair with shampoo. This mask is known to remove dandruff and reduce inflammation.
Avoid products which have alcohol content
If you scalp has been itchy persistently, you might be using products which have alcohol content. It is important to check the ingredients mentioned on your shampoo, conditioner, etc. for making sure that you don’t use something which is inclusive of alcohol!
Diet for healthier scalp
Apart from all the things you should apply and not apply, there is one thing that you ought to maintain – the diet! It is important to fill your diet with nutritious food, in order to balance the diet. Include more of nuts, veggies and fruits, for having a healthy diet. Shift to a healthier consumption, which not only benefits your scalp but also improves your body and mind. A step towards exercising and healthier eating is always profitable.
Tie when the hair is dry
Many women due to their tight schedule and busy hours to tie their hair though it is wet. Tie the hair after it got dried otherwise it will attract the dirt present in the atmosphere, which may turn the scalp itchy.
Do not use
[ Hindi version ]
Never prefer to use the hair conditioners and shampoos that are labelled with alcohols. It could be one of the reasons for the itchy scalp. Use hydrating conditioners.
Tips to reduce the itchiness of scalp
Soothe your itchy scalp by following these tips below. These are for daily care which you should follow along with the remedy you choose.
- Dry you hair everyday and make a thorough routine for it. Damp hair creates product buildup which leads to itchiness and dryness.
- Use a comb instead of brushing your hair. Combing is gentle and frees your hair from tangles without much hair fall. Comb hair after applying oil so that it distributes evenly.
- Avoid products which include alcohol.
- Keep your hair clean and make sure it doesn’t include lice.
- Follow an exercise routine which would have yoga, deep breathing, meditation, swimming, walking, etc.
- Drink lots of fluids to keep your body and scalp hydrated. This of course has water on the top list, but includes juices and milk too.
- Eat foods which have fatty acids, zinc and vitamin A, B, C.
- Apply hot oil massages for improving the blood circulation. This also reduces dryness and itching.
- You can also have supplements of vitamin E which lets your skin have more hydration.
- Avoid scratching scalp which can reverse the problems.
- When you switch over to new shampoos, conditioners and oils, make sure that you apply them for 2 weeks before removing the build up which was resulted from regular use of the ones before.
- Don’t apply chemicals to your hair till this condition is absolutely healed. It is anyway not healthy for the strands and can promote hair fall.
- Wash bed sheets and pillow covers frequently for avoiding mites.
The above remedies and tips are supposed to heal the itchiness of your scalp within about 15 to 20 days. If they do not, you should consult a dermatologist, because it may need expert help and care.