The wide range of colors in food gives them a visual appeal and provides antioxidants, minerals and vitamins to nourish the body. There are three main pigments that give color to the fruits and vegetables.
Flavonoids give blue, cream and red color to the fruits and vegetables, chlorophyll gives the green color and carotenoids give the orange and yellow colors to the fruits and vegetables. White beige and brown color mostly is of proteins and carbohydrates.
Each color provides its special nutrients to the body and plays a different role in the body; hence a healthy meal will depend on the color of foods chosen.
Each variety of food that we consume must have some food value. The colors in food also have some nutritional value. Let us discuss about the variety of foods that have nutrition, vitamins and minerals for the well being.
The nutritional value should be intact even after you have consumed it for a long time. The nutritionists always emphasize on the food color and the nutrition content in it. Let us explore some of such food variety.
Food at the table should gaze like an artist’s palette. To conceive bowls that have vibrant colors and are nutritious, you need to experiment with distinct components. Mix and match to glimpse if the colors and tastes combine simultaneously well.
Colors and foods
Red foods are one of the foods that are richest in Vitamin C. Normally we can find the red color in the vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, etc. Red impacts the heart. Eating more red tinted food can help one’s immune system and avert freezing.
This color in particular raw vegetables and fruits are really essential as it contains really very powerful antioxidants. These foods are loaded with the phytochemicals lycopene and anthocyanin which help to improve memory, increase the health of the heart, and reduce the chances of certain cancers.
By consuming such foods you can easily stay away from the prostate cancer, heart disease and other forms of cancer.
- Cherry: Cherry is a delicious fruit that is high in antioxidants. It is found to prevent arthritis, heart disease and diabetes. They also help to reduce inflammation in the body and give relief from gout and arthritis pain.
- Beets: Beets are vegetables that are low in calorie but high in fiber, vitamin A, C and K and iron. Beets help in improving the digestive function in the body and reducing inflammations.
- Red bell peppers: Red bell peppers are also low in calories and rich in vitamin C and fiber. They help in reducing the cholesterol levels, helping in digestion and in enhancing the immunity system of the body.
- Cranberries: Cranberries are found to be very effective in preventing urinary tract infections. They also help in reducing inflammations in the body.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are found to be high in the antioxidant lycopene, that helps to reduce the damage of cells and reduce the chances of heart disease and diabetes.
- Red grapes, red kidney beans, pomegranate, red onions, watermelon, and strawberries are other examples of red foods.
Orange foods contain high amount of carotenoids, bioflavonoids and Vitamin C. This color fruits and vegetables are associated with eye and skin health. They help in increasing immunity in the body, reducing the risk of certain cancers and in maintaining a healthy heart.
- Oranges: Oranges are rich in vitamin A and C, which helps in maintaining the health of the heart and in boosting immunity in the body. The high content of magnesium and fiber in oranges help to improve digestion and strengthen bones.
- Carrots: The high content of vitamin A in carrots are useful in maintaining a healthy texture of the skin.
- Sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes are marked as one of the healthiest veggies that are high in fiber, vitamins A and C and other powerful nutrients. Sweet potatoes are found to o promote healthy skin and a decrease the chances of cancer.
- Peaches: Peaches are rich in vitamin A, C, E, K, and fiber. They help to prevent cellular damage and reduce the risk of cancer.
- Mangoes, nectarines, papayas, apricots, golden kiwi fruit and cantaloupe are some other orange fruits that can be included in one’s daily diet.
Yellow foods help in the process of digestion and boost the function of the brain. These yellow foods are rich in alpha-beta carotenes which are required in maintaining the health of the eyes and skin and in increasing immunity in the body.
Yellow corresponds to the spleen. The spleen changes and conveys the power from food and drink all through the body. Yellow foods furthermore correspond to the stomach. Some examples of yellow food are corn, yellow peppers, cantaloupe, and pineapples.
- Pineapple: Pineapple is a healthy food that is cholesterol and free. It contains an enzyme known as bromelain which helps in digestion and in regulating and neutralizing the fluids in the body. It helps in reducing heart related problems, cancer and cataract in the eye.
- Yellow peppers: Yellow peppers are found to boost the immune system and maintain a healthy skin with the help of vitamin C and A. The carotenoids present in Yellow peppers help prevent heart diseases.
- Star fruit: Star fruit is high in vitamin C and calcium it is helpful in increasing immunity,improving bone health, and muscle contractions.
- Lemon, grapefruit, Yellow color kiwi, figs, apple, tomato and watermelon are also useful for the body.
Green fruits and vegetables contain a large amount of phytochemicals, iron, potassium, calcium vitamins A and K.
All these nutrients help in improving the vision, supporting the health of the bones, preventing birth defects and maintaining a healthy blood pressure level.
They are also helpful in combating against cancer. There are plenty of other green vegetables loaded with healthy nutrients.
Green is the color of life and influences the liver. It is a basic link in the food chain, and green food is the food source of persons and animals. Some green foods are,
- Kiwi: Kiwi is rich in iron and, vitamin E, which all help to reduce the risk of heart disease and develop an overall good health.
- Green apples, grapes, avocados, asparagus, beans, cucumbers, green pepper, peas and artichokes fall in the category of green fruits and vegetables.
Blue and purple foods
Blue and purple foods give an interesting look to the food plate and also brings a large amount of nutrition on the plate. Blue color is a powerful antioxidant known as anthocyanins that gives the color to the blueberries.
It is very effective in controlling heart diseases and in preventing cancer. The blue color in the fruits and vegetables come from anthocyanin are associated with antioxidants and anti aging properties.
The main benefits of blue and purple foods are to strengthen the bones and improve blood circulation in the body.
- Blueberries: Blueberries contain antioxidants, fiber,vitamin E and C; they help to improve the cholesterol level, improve the urinary-tract health, and enhance brain activity.
- Eggplant: Eggplant high in vitamin C, calcium, fiber and phosphorus which helps in strengthening the bones and teeth.
- Blackberries: Blackberries are packed with nutrients like vitamin K, antioxidants and fiber. They are stated to improve the overall health of a person by increasing immunity and functioning of the heart, lowering the cholesterol level and reducing the risks of cancer.
- Plums: Plums are high in vitamin B and K. Vitamin B helps to metabolize, proteins, carbohydrates and fat in the body. It helps to promote good health of the bones.
- Other blue and purple foods include black currants, dried plums, purple figs, purple grapes,purple cabbage, purple carrots and purple-fleshed potatoes.
White foods are packed with nutrients. They help to lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure, and reduce the chances of heart problems. The basic benefit of white foods is to improve immunity and enhance the lymphatic systems.
White food gives persons a clean feeling and purify the lungs. They are good for modifying visions and calming strong feelings. Demonstrations of white foods are Garlic, jicama, mushroom, onion, parsnips, cauliflower, shallots, and turnips contain microbial agents that contribute to the overall health of a person.
Black color food
Very dark influences the kidney. The kidney is the fatal body part amongst the five body parts and the source of life. Examples of black color foods are very dark mushroom, wood ear, sea cucumber, century egg, black sesame, and black rice.
Food colors and health benefits
It is important to have multi colored food instead on bothering on single vegetables that has particular color. Rather, it is important to have food that has multi colored presentation.
For example if you have spinach, carrot, potato, tomato, bells, etc in a curry, you care getting the food with green color, red, yellow and white. So, you are getting all nutrition and vitamins intact in a single curry.
The iron will make your blood cells stronger; potato containing carbohydrates will be wonderful if consumed in a particular quantity.
The fruit named as raspberry is also having great a great nutritional value. It will be really great if you can consume this fruit on a regular basis. This induce boost in the red blood cells.
People consuming such fruit will get much more energetic as this contains iron as well as vitamin C. You can also make each one of your family members have this fruit so that the energy level can be increased.
Vitamin rich food
The perfect food colors are also present among the vitamin rich food. You need to have vitamins in good amount to stay active. Vitamin rich food are guava, mangoes, carrots and other green leafy vegetable. Just keep on consuming such food and see how it looks.