Your skin tends to lose moisture quickly in winter. Dehydrated skin hinders the blood circulation inside the skin surface. As the result, you get dry, dull, scaly skin, chapped lips, and cracked heels.
[ Hindi version ]
You should liberally use moisturizer several times a day to lock the moisture inside your skin.
- Try to use a moisturizer with higher oil to water ratio. The oil base helps to retain the moisture for a long period of time.
- Look for a moisturizer with humectants. These are substances that improve blood circulation in your skin. Keep the skin healthy and glowing.Glycerine, sorbitol, hyaluronic acid, honey are some of the humectants used in body lotions.
- Moisturizer works best when it is applied on warm, damp skin. Always keep a bottle of moisturizing lotion near the sink and bathtub. Apply it thoroughly all over your skin after tapping your body with a dry towel.
Always choose the nonclogging oil for your skin. It does not clog the facial pores and lets the nourishing elements absorb well into the skin.
- Olive oil, avocado oil, primrose oil are nonclogging body oils.
- Natural oils like rosemary oil, jojoba oil improve blood circulation. This makes your skin core feel warm during the harsh, chilly winter.
- Apply moisturizing oils like lavender oil, tea-tree oil on your skin. These hydrate and soothe itchy, scaly skin.
- Opt for a cleanser with humectants such as glycolic acid, salicylic acid. This will cleanse the impurity off the facial pores and will also soften the skin.
- Cover the exposed skin immediately after using cleansers. This will keep the moist intact.
Say no to hot water bath and long shower
- Go for lukewarm water. A long hot water bath in extreme low temperature may feel like heaven, but hot water damages the protective layer of lipid on your skin. Use lukewarm water instead and keep your shower sessions short.
- You can take therapeutic bath at your home. Add a cup of whole milk, some drops of olive or almond oil in a bathtub full of lukewarm water. You can also go for oatmeal and grape seeds extract to prepare therapeutic bath. Soak your body for 30 minutes.
- Use gentle glycerin soap.
- Pat your body gently with a dry towel after the bath.
Unleash the goodness of milk
The lactic acid in the milk is an excellent exfoliant and a mild moisturizer. Try a body lotion with lactic acid for a smooth, youthful, hydrated skin in winter.
Cure for dry hands
- Use lukewarm water for washing hands.
- Use a mild hand wash
- Remember to apply moisturizer on your hands after washing.
- Keep your hands covered with thin cotton gloves. Do not use woolen gloves to avoid irritation.
Heal the cracking feet
- Exfoliate your feet with a scrub to slough off the dead skin cells from your feet.
- Apply a thick creamy moisturizer with lactic acid minimum twice a day to keep the feet moisturized.
- Scrub your heels with a pumice stone at least 3 times in a week.
- Wear socks to keep the feet hydrated.
For parched lips
Keep a lip balm always handy. Use a lanolin based lip balm instead of a petroleum gel. This will keep the lips soft and hydrated for a long time.
Use a mild face cream. Strictly avoid alcohol based toners, scrubs, peel masks. You can also make home-made face mask for winter using avocado, honey, milk, lavender. Wash your face with cold water.
Dress for comfort
Wear soft fabrics like cotton instead of wool, polyester or any other synthetic fibre.Keep yourself fully covered to refrain from exposure to dry wintry wind
Sunlight in the winter is more harmful than the summer sun. Apply a sunscreen lotion with SPF 30 and aloe vera extract to keep your skin free from exposure to sun.
Warm up your surroundings using humidifiers at your home. It locks the heat inside the closed doors and also keeps your skin hydrated.
Eat and drink healthy
- Increase the amount of omega 3 fatty acid (found in fish, walnuts, olive oil) on your platter.
- Eat a lot of citrus fruits like orange, lemons. These keep the skin tissues healthy.
- Drink plenty of water.
As the famous saying goes,” precaution is better than cure”, start taking care of your health while the winter is approaching. The winter and your skin do not bond very well. Use these tips to combat the roughness of winter. Enjoy the season with a glowing, bright and beautiful skin. A glowing skin is a sign of a good health.
[ Hindi version ]